wADmM5mNLtOv064mhMCS_CYE3Bc Just Dorothy: Once upon a time in a land called Make Believe

Once upon a time in a land called Make Believe

Since the little boys have been here, we've been watching a lot of cartoons.  Ones I haven't seen in a long time.  Some are updated now from when I was a kid, of course, and some are updated since my boys were little. 

I remember watching Mr. Rogers as a kid.  It was so peaceful, so calming.  He really did feel like a friend and I was always sad when he would change his cardigan and his shoes to leave.  It was a little weird at times, too, though.  One of the characters that stand out as uber creepy is Lady Elaine Fairchilde.  I just didn't care for her much.  She was mean and so, so scary looking.  See? :


I loved the big tree where X the Owl lived and the cat.  I've forgotten her name. 

Anyway, since he has passed away, his legacy lives on through Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, an animated show featuring Daniel Tiger, one of Mr. Rogers' puppets.  It's aimed at preschoolers but has very simple messages and repeats, repeats, repeats everything to make sure it is retained.  Daniel Tiger walks in, says "Hi, neighbor!", puts on a red zip up cardigan and changes his shoes.  He rides Trolley and they sing the Good Feeling song.  It makes me tear up a little.

It's very different from what my generation grew up with, but I'm glad the tradition continues. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment