wADmM5mNLtOv064mhMCS_CYE3Bc Just Dorothy: It's everywhere. No, really, it is.

It's everywhere. No, really, it is.

So, before I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I was oblivious to what it was.  I mean, I knew the basics but didn't read about it, skipped over any advertisement for it and tuned out any commercial I saw for it.  But now, I notice DIABETES everywhere.  It's in every magazine, every other television commercial refers to it and I hear about it in conversation nearly every day.  I can't escape it.  Literally. 

Yet, it's one of those diseases that's largely ignored.  It doesn't have a 3-day walk like breast cancer does.  It doesn't have Jennifer Aniston or Robin Williams in a commercial like St. Jude's does.  It's got a Jonas brother and a football player.  Even though it's got lots and lots of media coverage, it's not really taken seriously.  People ignore it.  I can't ignore it anymore because it's a 24/7 thing, but I can still turn the page of a magazine and turn the channel when they start talking about free monitors and test strips (sure wouldn't mind getting free test strips, those little suckers are expensive!).  And most of the time I do exactly that.  But it's getting harder and harder to do.  Today I opened up a magazine and on one page there was a huge, full page ad for test strips.  Two pages later there was an article on a girl who started making bracelets when she was diagnosed at 12 years old and sold them to raise money for researching a cure.  She's 18 now and has donated about $40,000.  Sweet! 

Anyway, it's just an observation. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment