wADmM5mNLtOv064mhMCS_CYE3Bc Just Dorothy: Defending Cait

Defending Cait

As I said in a previous post, there are so many crazy things going on in the world today.  Addressing some of them is hard, especially for me because I do not like confrontation, do not like to argue and do not particularly like to have a difference of opinion shoved down my throat.  I prefer to agree to disagree.

But I also have a hard time keeping my mouth shut on things that really bother me.

I am not overly familiar with the Kardashians or their numerous exploits or television shows.  I don't Facebook, Twitter or Instagram any of them because they are not my cup of tea.  My opinion of them (and you may agree to disagree) is that they lack substance.  Do they promote anything good?  My impression is that the lot of them are undereducated and lack substance.  Right, I've never watched a show, so how can I make that judgement?  Well, I don't live under a rock and those people are fucking everywhere!  I can't help but notice because it's almost forced on me.

But let's, for a moment, talk about the other part of that Kardashian equation and discuss Caitlyn Jenner and her recent award from the ESPY's, the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.  Those that are against it saying "the truly courageous are the ones that are fighting and have fought for our country".  This is true.  But the entire point is missed.  The AACA is given to SPORTS figures.  Not our military, not our wounded warriors.  SPORTS figures.  The ESPY's are Hollywood's equivilent of the Oscars.

Directly from the Arthur Ashe website:  "Given out yearly at the ESPY awards, which were created by ESPN to recognize accomplishments in athletics, the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage is unique in recognizing athletes who transcend sports in dedicating themselves to humanitarian or social endeavors."

Guess the keywords I saw in there?  Accomplishments, athletics, transcend sports, humanitarian and social endeavors.

Guess what I didn't see in there?  Veterans, military, wounded, POW.

DO NOT take my comments to mean that I do not support or appreciate our service members.  That's the furthest from the truth.

But also, do not read more into this courage award than there needs to be.  It's another awards show to once again honor mostly rich and famous people for being able to throw a ball, make a basket, sink a hole in one.  Yes, yes, I know there is more to it, but do you watch the Oscars to see who won for best lighting director?  No, you don't.  They do have the Pat Tillman Award and that's the closest it gets to recognizing any military.  Because it's a SPORTS AWARD SHOW.

You may or may not agree with Caitlyn Jenner and her new life versus her old life.  But do not turn her award into anything other than what it is.  She was recognized as an athlete "who transcend sports in dedicating themselves to humanitarian or social endeavors".

Whether YOU like it or not, her social endeavor is speaking out about the transgender community, which does exist, also whether you like it or not.

0 comments:

Post a Comment