wADmM5mNLtOv064mhMCS_CYE3Bc Just Dorothy: Better-ish

Better-ish

So it's been about 5 days since "D" day. Diabetes diagnosis day. I gotta tell you, this really sucks. It's not something to take lightly, it's not something to forget about and just let happen to you. It IS, however, a life changing "illness" or "disease" or "condition", whatever you want to call it, that has the potential to either decrease the quality of your life or end your life.

BUT, it doesn't have to be that way. Many, many people live with diabetes and manage it very well. The ones that don't...well, I don't want to think about what happens to them. It's sad.

So, I'm figuring things out, making appointments, watching what I eat and reasearching lots of stuff. Today I went to the eye doctor. Haven't been in about 3 years. I had noticed a change in my vision and I knew that the prescription I had was no good anymore but I was too LAZY to make the appointment and go. So I suffered. I've been suffering with the eye thing for at least, at least 6 months but I can't recall how long it's actually been that my eyes have bothered me.  And that's another thing that is a result of diabetes.  Confusion.  Oh yes, I've blogged about it before, the dreaded memory gap.  I felt 80.  You could tell me something and 5 minutes later I'd ask you to tell me again.  It's not that I couldn't remember the telling, I couldn't remember the details.  It truly stinks.  BUT, now I'm on medication, my blood sugar is going down, my memory is getting clearer, my circulation is better, my eyes are now on the path to being better.  The doctor is waiting to give me a prescription for contacts until the blood sugar goes down further so it doesn't have to keep changing a lot.  Right now I'm in temporary ones until we get it all figured out. 

I've got a pretty strong support group too.  Most are positive and keep my spirits up.  Ryan asks me every day about my blood sugar and is my mini monitor.  He is always asking if I should be eating this or that.  It's pretty cool but shouldn't be his responsibility.  I mean, I appreciate the help but I never want him to think he has to be my keeper.  Anyway, we'll get it figured out.  Eventually.

1 comments:

  1. Sorry you are having to deal with this now. I am glad that you are becoming informed and taking it seriously. My dad was diagnosed last year, and doesn't take it seriously, which like you said, is sad.

    Thanks so much for joining our Mingle With Us Blog Hop and Giveaway. I look forward to following each others blogs:)

    Amanda Joy
    www.joyinthejumble.com

Post a Comment